Monday, August 15, 2011

Mulling it Over

What our August has lacked in pizzazz it has definitely made up for in big decision making.

One of those decisions has seemed both especially monumental and miniscule at the same time.

It regarded our little guinea pig.

And what hamster wheel we thought best for him to run on. SchoolUniform 002crop

Last week we got a call from our local charter school. Nearly six months ago we had put Evan’s name on the list for the lottery to get into this academy. It is very difficult. And we had settled on the fact that he would be starting kindergarten at our local elementary school instead. But the call came saying Evan’s name had been picked in the final drawing to start school on Monday. And suddenly we were faced with this HUGE decision, with pros and cons on both sides. Keep Evan at the local elementary school, whose test scores don’t even pass the “No Child Left Behind Act”, but where all his friends are and where he would most certainly succeed despite the low school scores, or buy him some uniform clothes and drive the longer distance to the highly acclaimed Preparatory Academy where he will know very few people, but may have the opportunity to excel. Oh and also, year-round school vs. traditional school years.

This decision has consumed me.

It’s kindergarten for goodness sake!!! I get that. But it’s also my precious guinea pig we’re talking about.

Well, we finally settled on a decision.

And driving Evan to school today helped solidify it.

School Uniforms – here we come!

 

p.s. Happy Birthday Mom!

3 comments:

The Wizzle said...

I feel like your twin this week!

School decisions, especially for your first, when you are sort of "setting s precedent", are SO HARD. I agonized about whether to start Dev when he was not-quite-5, and then I agonized whether to have him repeat K or go to first, and then I agonized over which school to send him to.

It all went wonderfully. Every move we have made has been for the best, I really believe that.

I'm so glad you were able to choose, and you feel good about it. I hope it continues to feel like the right move!

Jonesy said...

Yay! I had a friend from my ward get in just yesterday, so her Kinder starts today. (Hansen pm) I hope you'll have as great an experience as we've had there and when Evan starts coming home singing songs in Spanish, you'll LOVE it!!! :) LMK if you need help getting your volunteer hours in. I usually do bulletin boards and could probably use a little help there, but if you wanted to get involved in some other aspect (like music?) I'm sure they would LOVE to have your expertise!

Darla said...

I'm glad you made that choice. Evan is such a handsome kid. This will be great for him.