I wanted to get out of the house, do something exciting, and brave my nausea. The kids’ summer was wasting away with very little of note for them to remember.
So we took them to the Davis County Fair. It’s a small fair, but still has a number of good kiddy rides to choose from, free pony rides, petting zoo, dog diving shows, science activities, and best all – small crowds.
The kids each got to pick one ride to go on. Afterwards, we gathered kids and headed for the caged snakes. Greg was pushing the stroller and the other two kids followed along obediently.
But then I looked in the stroller.
It was empty!
Where was Taryn!?
Suddenly the fair grounds felt miles long and completely overcrowded with fairgoers.
Greg went back to the rides one way, while I circled around the other way with the older two in tow.
My eyes felt blurry. I wanted to take it all in, cover as much ground as possible with my vision. But how was I to spot a small 2-year-old if I didn’t focus.
I felt lost myself. Lost for direction. Lost for inspiration. Lost emotionally. Lost.
How do we find her?
How many minutes has it been?
Felt like eternity… but probably only 5 minutes.
Then Evan shouted,
“TARYN!!!! NOOOO!!!!!”
What? Where is she? Do you see her?
“TARYN!!!” he shouts again. “NOOOO, GET OFF!!!”
Then I saw her. Sitting contentedly in the jet ride Evan had just been on. Waiting for her turn to go.
Are you kidding me? How did she get in there? She doesn’t even have a ticket?!
Apparently the Carnies at this county fair were extremely laid back and helped her into the jet without tickets or parental supervision. hm…
I scooped her into my arms, kicking and screaming. She didn’t even know she had been lost - that this should have been a beautiful, tender moment of reunion. She just knew she wasn’t going to get to ride that rocket. And that made her mad.
But I felt oh so grateful. That though I was at a loss as to how to find her, or where to look, I had an angel there to help me. One with a clear vision.
The vision of a protective big brother.




No comments:
Post a Comment