I grew up on a safe/secluded street where the only people that drove by were neighbors or foreigners who took a wrong turn. Because of the security we felt living there, the lesson of home security was never really taught to us. Obviously, we would lock the door at night, but never during the day. The following are anecdotes resulting from that attitude.
*****
9:00 pm circa 1986
While sitting on her toilet, in the back corner of her house, my mother was suddenly startled by the neighbor boy, Baby Steve, popping his head into the bathroom and asking if my sister and I could play. Isn’t that what every woman wants to see while sitting on the toilet late at night?
*****
One Summer Saturday 2002
My little nephew got a hold of the phone and in so doing, he dialed 911. We talked to the operator and told her everything was A-okay and then we went out to the backyard to enjoy the slip-n-slide and pool. A while later I ran back into the house to get something and as I walked in the back door I heard a shout. “Police! Is anyone hurt?! Police!” I was very puzzled and went into the entry way where sure enough, an officer in full regalia was radioing over his shoulder for backup. I gave him a tour of the house and backyard to ease any suspicions of foul play. His final words as he left the house were, “Lock your doors.”
*****
Today 3:00 pm
The house is silent and all heads are laying on pillows and eyelids are soundly closed – including my own. When suddenly I hear a loud “Hello.” Followed by another “Hello” “Hello” “Hello”. He--llo! What is going on here!? Who in the world is in my house yelling Hello? and whomever it is better not wake my kids up! (There is nothing that irks me more than my kids being woken from their naps before I am ready for them to). I leave my bedroom and look over the railing to our front door. There stand two of my son’s sweet, little friends, having entered our home with nary a knock, looking for a playmate. I shush them out the door and tell them we can play after nap time. Luckily, to the well-being of all involved, my children remained undisturbed by this disruption and I went back to my bed with a silly smile on my face.
*****
Obviously, after posting this security/character flaw for the world to see –
I will be locking my doors from now on!




No comments:
Post a Comment