Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Trip to the Library

There's a Broadway Song that goes like this:

A Trip to the Library
has made a new girl of me
for suddenly I can see
the magic of Books!

I took the kids to the library for the first time the other day (I know, I know. I'm a terrible mom. How could this be the first time!? I can't believe it myself, but alas, it's true).

And besides the 15 books we came home with, you'll never guess what else our trip to the library yielded...

A Sweet Potato Pie!

Yup! That was the title of one of the books Evan picked out. And when we read it, we found that it included a recipe for "Mama's Sweet Potato Pie". Now this pie sounded pretty spectacular from what we read. Heck - she even sold enough of them to save the family farm. So I told Evan that our next trip to the store we would get us some sweet potatoes.

So we did -- but I got confused after looking at sweet potatoes and yams right next to eachother in the produce section. How is it that I thought those were the same thing? I'm still a bit confused. But I bought the sweet potatoes even though the yams seemed like the thing I should have.

And today we baked!

I've never made a pie. And I've especially never made a crust from scratch. But according to the book "it was Mama's special, extra-flaky crust that made her pies so good." Now, if that isn't pressure?!




Add some vanilla icecream on the side and it turned out pretty darn good. I don't think we'll be selling any at the state fair or saving our family farm with the proceeds, but it was a fun experience nonetheless.


I wonder what our next trip to the library will bring ...

Photobucket

p.s. And "yes" - those are pajamas the kids are still wearing. I could deceive you and make you think we had this pie for dessert and the kiddos were already dressed in their pjs, but that would not be true. Suffice it to say, it was a late and lazy Sunday morning today. And the afternoon pie tasting was even better in our jammies. :)

3 comments:

Tina said...

Have no shame in pajama day. We have MANY of those in our house. Now it will be a lot harder since Cloey started school today... sniff, sniff (that's a whole other subject). But anyway, what a fun library trip. I bet your kids can't wait to go back again!!

Deanna said...

I just rediscovered the library. I love it! I can request books on the computer and they let me know when they are in. Then I go to a special shelf and get my books, scan them in the computer and out I go with more stories to read. LOVE IT! I also read a book about potatoes. It was called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". Your pie looked awesome!

Kristy said...

We just discovered the wonders of the library a little over a year ago. I decided that we couldn't fit any more books on our shelves, nor could we afford to buy everything we wanted off of the Scholastic book orders; so off to the library we headed. We've had library books in our home ever since and have only incurred 25 cents in late fees; something that I am quite proud of. (It really helps that I get emailed renewal reminders and that I can renew online.) But we now love the library and can't help but fill our bags with books when we go. In fact we went last Thursday and came home with 41 books. Yes it's a little crazy, but we love books.

Oh, and your sweet potato pie book reminded me of a book that we've checked out twice now. It's called Mom Pie. Mom is too busy trying to prepare dinner for all the guests coming over. So the boys decide to make Mom Pie. It's the best kind of pie because it has a little bit of all of the things that remind them of Mom. You guys might enjoy the book too.