Monday, August 16, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Then------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Now

This week marks Four Years since we first moved into our house. A lot has changed in those four years:

  • the color of our front door
  • the number of bikes and strollers in the garage
  • the lack of space in the garage
  • the function of our then-unfinished basement
  • the minivan parked out front
  • the size of our bushes
  • the number of bedrooms being used
  • the color of paint on the walls
  • the garden plot in the back
  • the weeds covering the side driveway

And while it is by no means my dream home, I love this house. Probably one of my favorite features of the floor plan is the kitchen. I think I love it so much because it reminds me of my mom's kitchen in the home I grew up (sans the carpet). In fact, sometimes for a split second I often confuse her kitchen for mine - and I will think the cereal is in the cupboard to the right of the island, or the spice cabinet is to the right of the sink. But that was my childhood and not my present. That house was actually sold the same summer we bought ours. And craziest are those moments when I think the master bedroom is just off the kitchen and suddenly I'm in my laundry room. So trippy.

My Kitchen -----------------------------------------------------My Mom's Kitchen

It's been a good four years. I don't really know how many more there may or may not be, but I look forward to them. Home still feels far far away to me in beautiful Arizona.

But when I walk into this house I love being home.


Photobucket

7 comments:

Tina said...

Tasha! What a beautiful home you have. I can't believe you have a picture of your mom's kitchen and wow... they do look a lot alike. How fun!!
We are going on a year in our house at the end of next month. Time sure flys! Have fun in your kitchen and home. Glad you love it so much.

The Wizzle said...

Oh my goodness, how the heck did your mom manage carpet in the kitchen?! I guess it was patterned. But still!

Your house is so cute. Making our house our "home" is one of my favorite parts of this whole mothering/parenting/being an adult thing.

Greg said...

I would have to say that I will probably miss this house if/when we move. I have put a lot of work into it so maybe I'm just not finishing it completely because I don't really want to do the work and I don't want to have to move. More work.

Matt and Elisa said...

Wow! Four years! I'm so glad you guys ended up living here so that we could become friends! I'll be sad when the day comes, which it will, that you leave us for Arizona!

Tara said...

My mom had carpet everywhere. My husband had to teach me to mop the floor (and I still don't feel like I do it properly). I miss having carpet in the kitchen. I find myself putting my feet up on a chair rung, or table leg because I hate the feel of the tile under me. And I also try to keep flip flops or socks on my feet when I'm walking through the house because of the tile. I don't like being able to feel every little cracker crumb stuck between my toes. I think vacuuming would be a lot easier than sweeping and mopping. When you grow up with it, it doesn't seem like a weird thing. But I guess it is definitely a weird thing.

Rach said...

You have made your home beautiful. I'm so glad you guys live near us, and I hope you stick around. I love your kitchen, too. I sort of covet it. Your island is awesome. And the basement is awesome. I'm impressed with the amount of work you guys have put into making your home so great.

Kristy said...

That's so crazy that your kitchens are so similar! I always thought that your guy's kitchen was so beautiful and neat.