There is something about the National Anthem that works inside me every time I hear it in it's pure form - not with all the over-the-top embellishments and showy riffs that we hear all too often at the beginning of sporting events. Just the true, honest notes, harmonies, and words. The words are incredible. And the words we should be singing at all of those baseball games, are not the ones we know or hear so often. They are these:Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
So powerful. And I couldn't help but tear up behind the organ today as I accompanied our pitiful, but persuasive congregation.
I feel so blessed to live in this country. Despite it's man-made faults it is truly a land built and inspired by our Creator.




4 comments:
Agreed... I wish more people knew more of the verses. The three in the hymn book tell such a beautiful story and give a great message.
I totally teared up yesterday when we sang the fourth verse. It is amazing.
I have SO enjoyed reading through all your posts. In some way I feel like because of them, we're still close. Well, I'll always feel close to you. :) Even with miles and years separating us.
Agreed in every word.
I think you're on to something here, Tash. I think it's about time America learn that last verse!
Wouldn't it be awesome if somebody sang that at the Superbowl or World Series?? Wow... I'm starting to wonder how we could encourage whomever is billed to sing. :)
Post a Comment