When I was younger my mother would get me to eat my veggies by saying,
"Eat your vegetables first because they get cold the fastest."
And so I would.
I loved vegetables - especially dishes like creamed spinach and zucchini pie.
Call me weird. I can handle it.
And while the veggies do seem to get cold quicker than the entrees, I am now learning that it was most likely a trick. Mothers are good at tricks. Like when mine told me that I was her best bathroom cleaner. Obviously I wanted to keep cleaning the bathrooms after a compliment like that! Of course, years later I learned that she had said the same little line to a couple of my other siblings too.
That clever little devil.
So anyway, I suppose the idea of eating something cold wasn't appealing to me as a child
and to this day I still eat my vegetables first.
I know a lot of people who are vegetarians. No offense, but no thank you.
Even so, I do know that vegetables are good for you. I'm not a statistician or a nutritionist so I don't know the facts. But I want my family to be healthy and so
I do serve them vegetables, despite the grumbling.
"Eat your vegetables first because they get cold the fastest."
And so I would.
I loved vegetables - especially dishes like creamed spinach and zucchini pie.
Call me weird. I can handle it.
And while the veggies do seem to get cold quicker than the entrees, I am now learning that it was most likely a trick. Mothers are good at tricks. Like when mine told me that I was her best bathroom cleaner. Obviously I wanted to keep cleaning the bathrooms after a compliment like that! Of course, years later I learned that she had said the same little line to a couple of my other siblings too.
That clever little devil.
So anyway, I suppose the idea of eating something cold wasn't appealing to me as a child
and to this day I still eat my vegetables first.
I know a lot of people who are vegetarians. No offense, but no thank you.Even so, I do know that vegetables are good for you. I'm not a statistician or a nutritionist so I don't know the facts. But I want my family to be healthy and so
I do serve them vegetables, despite the grumbling.
And my dearest Greg:
it is because I love you
that I make you eat your vegetables.
p.s. If you eat the cooked ones when they're warm, they taste better. :)
it is because I love you
that I make you eat your vegetables.
p.s. If you eat the cooked ones when they're warm, they taste better. :)




1 comment:
I love your blog. I'm like Greg...not much into the veggies, but it's a good idea to use little tricks. It's funny what I'll eat now that I would have never eaten as a kid. I did learn recently that kids have like 10,000 taste buds compared to about 3500 that adults have. Maybe that is why I can eat brocolli now...if it's covered in cheese.
Post a Comment