Three out of our Four children are now in Special Ed.
Not sure why, but our kids struggle with proper articulation.
My husband just got after me for writing that they are in Special Ed – saying they won’t appreciate me saying they’re dumb when they grow up.
I am in no way saying they are dumb. On the contrary – they are all extremely bright. Top marks in every area. They each perform way above their age level.
My actual intention with writing that they are in “special ed.” is to change the stereotype of that label. And to empower other parents to feel no shame in its placement on their child.
In our neighborhood in Utah, there was a sign at the entrance to our street. It read: “Deaf Child Playing”.
It was there long before we ever moved in. For what child, I never found out. But after Taryn was born with a hearing loss, I feared everyone would think that sign was for her.
But so what if it was.
Who cares what people think? That wouldn’t make her any different than the person she already is.
I have to admit that when we first received her diagnosis, I wanted pity. For a few months or more I wanted people’s sympathies. Woe was me for having an imperfect child.
There is most definitely a legitimate period of grief when getting any kind of other-than-perfect news regarding a child. That is completely natural. But then, I kept getting people’s pity. Strangers would see the hearing aids on my beautiful little toddler, and say “Oh, that’s too bad.” And finally I would think, Shove it. You can keep your sympathies and your judgments and your pitiful remarks. I don’t need them any more. And she certainly doesn’t either.
Because she is perfect.
Each of my children are. All children are. Despite their limitations, or handicaps, or set backs. They are perfectly perfect spirits, in perhaps less than perfect bodies. It is simply a trial, be it large or small, to overcome; To look back on and think, No big deal.
Just because they are “different” doesn’t make them any less loved. Any less deserving.
I have three kids in Special Ed.
And I’m proud to say that.
Because I am proud to be their Mom.




4 comments:
Love this post. L O V E I T.
Oh Tasha!!! I feel the same way. I get stares, and once people see Jacob's hearing aid they start to talk to him in a different way and I just roll my eyes. I just think you don't fully understand until you have a child with special needs yourself. You are an amazing mother and I LOVED reading this. Thank you!!!
I love it! That's awesome! And you are so def. meant to be their mom!
AMEN! Unconditional, truly unconditional love is amazing. We feel it for our children, and they for us. Go mama!
Post a Comment