Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother’s Day Trophy

She’s told me the story a few times already in just the last six months. Granted, she’s getting old. And she repeats her stories often. But I knew this one must have been important to her to be repeated so readily.

“I never won a trophy when I was a little girl. Have you ever won a trophy? The only trophy I ever received was at a Cinderella Pageant when I helped your sister. Your mom couldn’t go to it, and she asked me to take your sister and help her back stage. At the end they gave all of the mother’s a little hand-sized trophy for helping. I still have it. It’s up on the shelf. That’s the only trophy I’ve ever gotten.”

Now, if anyone deserves a trophy – it’s my grandma: For putting up with my Gramps, for raising three rambunctious boys, for having the awesomest laugh, for teaching school for twenty-or-thirty-some-odd years, for being one of the most thoughtful women on earth (second only to my mom who no-doubtedly inherited that trait from her mother).

So as I thought about Mother’s Day, and having no mother on whom to focus my attentions, I decided to focus on my Mother’s Mother. It’s been so wonderful to be back in Arizona and have her close by. She is always willing to babysit for me (one at a time of course. I wouldn’t dare throw all my kids at her at once. I’m not willing to put her in her grave), she drops by my house every Friday after her hair appointments and brings a goody for my kids, she opens her wallet whenever there’s a need, she has a keen eye for decorating and offers items readily, and she is always good for a wonderful story and chortling laugh.

She needed a trophy.

My sister and I went to the trophy store and presented her with this little ditty.

She was thrilled.

“This is the most wonderful gift!”

You deserve it Grandma.

For being the Grandest Grandma ever!

GmaTrophy3 GmaTrophy GmaTrophy2

3 comments:

Olivia Justine said...

LOVE THIS SO MUCH TASHA!!! because you are so right. gma does deserve a trophy :). nice work!

Tara said...

Love, love, love, looooove it!

Kippy said...

cutest ever!! great idea.