Saturday, September 17, 2011

Intruder

Didn’t get much sleep.

2:50 am

Awoke abruptly after shooting an intruder.

In my dream.

Heart was pounding as I lay there in the darkness.

Then I heard it.

A foreign creaking.

Then again.

Short, deliberate, uneven creaks.

What is that?

Then I saw it.

A light in the hallway on.

All were off at bedtime.

Who turned that on?

My heart beat speeds up.

I lay propped on my elbows, listening, pounding, and worrying.

I call Greg.

His phone is off.

I’m too much of a scaredy cat to check things out by myself.

I am frozen in fear.

Then I hear it.

Sounds like foot steps.

Who is that?

And the creaks quicken.

It is pouring rain.

Difficult to discern foreign, invading sounds.

The foot steps below come again.

I dial 9-1-1

I clutch the phone in my hand.

My thumb trembles over the send button.

I lay poised like that.

10 – 20 – 30 minutes.

Waiting for the intruder’s next move.

Waiting for a confirmation of my fears.

4:30 am

I finally drift off to sleep.

3 more days until he’s home.

3 more days.

I hope we survive it.

1 comment:

The Wizzle said...

Ugh ugh ugh. This is my very most hated thing about the man of the house not in the house. Hang in there!