I thought he had forgotten.
Either that, or he was keeping a really big secret.
I knew he was capable of either.
But the night before my 30th birthday, I got ornery. I needed something to work with. Some acknowledgment of the big day at hand.
So I asked him point blank. “Is tomorrow going to be a miserable birthday?” Is it going to be another Mother’s Day let-down?
He acted nonchalant but did give me some reassurance that it would be a special day.
That night, I allowed myself some expectations, and went to bed happy.
My 30th birthday arrived at 5:30 am when sweet little Zion appeared in our room and crawled into bed next to me. She stole my pillow, but wrapped her precious arm around my shoulder, and I was pretty sure it was going to be a good day.
Breakfast was served to me in bed on my Mom’s “You are Special Plate.” Points immediately scored for Greg.
I got to sleep in a little. Then I came downstairs to a showering of gifts. I was quite overwhelmed. Hand-made cards from my kids, even Greg; the booty from an on-a-whim Old Navy and Target shopping spree (I’ll probably be returning most of it, but it’s the thought that counts right?); and a music book inspired by my friend is in the mail. So excited.
Evan said, “Is this the best birthday ever?” He must have got some coaching from his Dad.
It was a great birthday.
But wait, what’s this? Greg says “And it’s not over yet.” WOW! What more could I possibly even dare to wish for.
The day was pretty normal. Actually went to the grocery store and did some laundry. I curled my hair for what I hope will be the last time. My kids seemed to be extra nice to me. The “birthday card” was a great one to play. I took a lovely nap next to Zion. Got a surprise gift from a dear friend on my doorstep. Got some nice cards in the mail. Then we went to Evan’s t-ball game.
After the game we had plans to go to my friend Annette’s house for a birthday bar-b-q. The kids and I were super excited for this. I had finally pulled my sticky/sweaty curls back into a ponytail during the game and wiped the majority of my sweat-stained makeup from my face during it as well. While I knew I didn’t look the most presentable, we went straight to my good friend’s house from the game, because good friends don’t care.
We walked into the kitchen to the sound of “SURPRISE!”
…It’s happened to me once before. And is a very perplexing thing. Trying to figure out what these different faces are all doing together in the same place and for what reason? It’s a few moments of insanity…
But the friendly smiles pulled me back in and it was a very fun and HUGE surprise.
Greg had planned the whole thing. He is such a stud. A surprise girl’s night out. The kids were pretty disappointed that they had to leave, but oh well, that was Greg’s problem now, not mine. :) It was a Strawberry Shortcake themed party, courtesy of Greg. Everyone asked if that was my favorite or something. I shrugged not knowing where he came up with that. Turns out, it’s because she’s from my “era”. Is that sposed to make me feel old?
I had a great time. We had a potluck of yummy salads, a few different “strawberry” desserts, with of course Strawberry Shortcake, and a cute chick flick to watch while we digested and then gabbed up a storm. It was perfect!
I had a huge smile on the whole time. But I just really wanted to get home and lay a fat one on Greg and tell him how super amazing he is!
Because he is.
And I did.




3 comments:
I'm so glad you were taken care of. Wish I could've been there!!! Darla
YAY GREG!!! I'm so glad he made your day so special. That is wonderful!! I love surprises. I haven't had a surprise party since I was 16. Love the feeling of it though!
Happy, happy belated b-day!!!!
Whooooooo! Good birthday, and you will definitely enjoy your music book! :)
Post a Comment