I felt like I was composing a musical score to the movie of my life.
I’ve been trying to expand my piano repertoire and challenge myself. I require it of my piano students, so why shouldn’t I do it myself. I’ve been learning to play Chopin’s Nocturne, Op. 9 No. 1. I was most excited about its chromatic scale. I had to learn that scale in high school, but never actually got to put it into practice. A few hours of hard work has gotten the piece near perfection and I’m loving it.
Today, I sat down to play.
The kids were quietly watching a movie as my fingers gently stroked the keys through the tender opening phrases.
piano
The first big crescendo came in perfect timing with the toddler’s screams as her toy was taken and a wild chase around the living room began in direct correlation to the dramatic climax of the song.
forte
I wished I had a camera rolling. It was just so surreal. The perfect background music for the goings on. Each crescendo and diminuendo was matched exactly by my children’s actions. I couldn’t have directed it better myself.
The wistfully beautiful ending of the piece found the kids sitting down on the floor together, sharing.
diminuendo pianissimo




No comments:
Post a Comment