
For nearly 4 years I have been our ward's organist. "Organist" is an interesting term, because even after all this time I would still NEVER consider myself an organist. I'm just a piano player who was thrown willy nilly into the crazy fingering and pedals and stops trauma that comes with playing an organ. I was nervous every week. I cringed from mistakes every week. I worried how the pipes and stops sounded every week. And I avoided the bass pedals every week.
Despite the heart attack this calling gives me each Sunday, there is definitely an upside to it - A peaceful sacrament. Well, I don't know if you can consider me looking out at my family's little row and watching my husband struggle and strain with, first, one, then two, then three toddlers and tots, peaceful. So most of the time I just wouldn't look. At least one of us could get something out of those sacramental minutes.
I know how callings go - as soon as you're comfortable with what you are doing, you are released. If that is the case, then I am going to have this calling for life!
Last week I decided to try some different stops and experiment with some other pipes to change the sound from my norm. And as I played the hymns with nary a mistake I thought to myself, This is how I have always wanted it to sound! Finally, after four years I got the stops right! Then another thought entered my head. I bet I'm going to be released now.
Sure enough, right after the meeting was over, the ward clerk asked me to meet with a member of the bishopric after church. I had to laugh. I knew it.
Even after all of its stresses, I am going to miss playing that organ.
Greg, on the other hand, is Thrilled!




2 comments:
Ah, yes. The Lord never lets us stay "comfortable" for long. Such truth in your statements! Thanks for sharing!
Oh. My. GOODNESS!! Ain't it the TRUTH!? Well, at least you found that sound before it was over :)
Post a Comment