

She appeared on our back porch yesterday morning.
I don't know why.
Perhaps she came to catch our garden mouse that free-loaded on our tomatoes all summer.
Perhaps it simply took her this long to follow us the block and a half home from Trick-or-treating when she tormented our little Tinkerbell with her stalking prowl.

Perhaps she came to pierce her beautiful cat eyes into ours and nearly make her way into our hearts.
she was gone.
I don't know why.
Perhaps she came to simply meow a hello.
Perhaps she came to catch our garden mouse that free-loaded on our tomatoes all summer.
Perhaps it simply took her this long to follow us the block and a half home from Trick-or-treating when she tormented our little Tinkerbell with her stalking prowl.

Perhaps she came to pierce her beautiful cat eyes into ours and nearly make her way into our hearts.
Perhaps these were the reasons for her unexpected visit.
Perhaps....
But no.
No, no, no. That wasn't it at all.
It was to scratch the peeling paint off our door trim.
Scratch,
scratch,
scratch.
And when the deed was done,
she was gone.
But left in her place was the resolve - that deep resolve - that we will never own a cat.
And for that matter, most likely never a dog as well.
Sorry kids.






2 comments:
amen, sister!!! We have a neighbor cat that the kids adore. I'm glad it isn't ours. I'm glad it doesn't scratch...
Cats...
Strangely, I developed an allergy to cats while in college. So, when my kids ask for a cat, I can say,
"I am happily allergic to cats."
As for dogs: I love 'em. Can't deal with one whilst I'm rearing my brood, but here's my 2-bits:
Find a dog that is already house-broken, and good with kids... It's fabulous!
... Excuse me, I've got to go check on the chickens in the back yard... ;)
Post a Comment