
Saturday night I got the call.
"Evan is having a hard time sitting reverently for the Primary Program. Will you please sit next to him."
Darn.
I was so excited to watch my little Sunbeam in what was to be our first, of I'm sure many, Primary Programs. He even had a speaking part.
We had practiced and practiced the songs, and practiced and practiced his scripture. He knew them all and I was so proud. I thought I had prepared him for the daunting task of sitting reverently for an entire hour with all eyes on him. We had rehearsed and talked about it and talked about it and rehearsed for weeks. But alas. I had not done enough.
ah ha!
One last trick.
A bribe.
"Evan, if you are super reverent during the program then we can go to the store and you can pick out a reward. What is something you have really been wanting?"
First he says, "Fold my arms...."
"Yes, that is one way that you can be reverent. But what is a special prize that you want if you fold your arms and are reverent during the program?"
"hmmmm.....[and he puts his pointer finger to his chin while he thinks thinks thinks]... maybe a car. A remote control car!"
"Awesome. So when I am sitting next to you if I see that you are starting to misbehave, then I will tap you and sign the word 'car' to remind you of the reward you will get if you can sit still and reverent. This will be great Evan. I know you can do it."
Sunday comes.
While playing the prelude on the organ, I hear my son's cute, familiar voice behind me telling the sweet girl next to him in a not-so-reverent voice, "If I'm wevwent I get a wemote contwol cahw!" So I turn my head and remind him to "shush". {I know, not so very reverent on both our parts.}
After I play the sacrament hymn I take my position next to Evan in the stands. He does decent through the bread, but by the time the water comes around he is getting antsy. That is a long time to be reverent already, but the program hadn't even started yet. I gave him another quick car sign.
The program begins.
All the kids get up for the first song. Why is my good little singer not singing? arrrrggg.... Is this really how it's going to be? Darn again.
I should give him a little more credit. He is only 4 after all. He stood and sat when he was supposed to, but he also played around with his chair while he stood and bounced up and down in it while he sat. He also came up with lots of secrets to suddenly share with me, which I usually relish, but not at this particular moment.
I tried to remind him of the prize awaiting. And sometimes it would snap him back to attention. But only for a few seconds.
Then it was his turn to speak.
He was a little too eager and kind of crashed into some of the kids that were exiting the pulpit from having just sang. And unfortunately, that enthusiasm translated into the mic. He rushed the first part of his scripture, even though we had practiced doing it slow, over and over. "If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15". But I still had a proud smile on my face.
There is such a sweetness in hearing children, especially your own, recite the words of God.
So pure, just as God intended.
Well, the program ended. It was a marvelous pr0gram. Filled with beautiful gospel truths spoken by beautiful little angels. It just wasn't quite so uplifting from my seat of scrutiny.
I suppose it's just that it is hard to watch your child not reach their full potential.
After church Evan was talking about his remote control car and I asked him if he was reverent during the program.
"No."
"So then do you get a remote control car?"
"No. But maybe next time I will."
Yes, son. Maybe next time.
And now I have a whole year to prepare!





4 comments:
Oh man!! I was pulling for him to be reverent to get his cawhr!! My experience with Jacob wasn't as positive and I'll post about it sometime. Primary programs... sigh... you win some and you loose some!! (smile) But what beautiful songs this year and I agree, such a wonderful message.
I can't believe they make the kids sit up on the stand the WHOLE time! That would be awful! You should recommend having all the kids take their places AFTER the sacrament!
To next year! Never mind that folks like me revel in the "misbehavings" of adorable four-year-olds at Primary Programs. :)
That is sweet~ Gotta love sunbeams!
Post a Comment