Thursday, October 14, 2010

Improved Hearing Tests


Her hearing is what it is. It is what it always was. But as she gets older, the tests become more accurate. It's not that her hearing is getting better, she is just getting better at responding because of her age.

I think back to the first set of comprehensive tests we did. She was only two months old. A moderate/severe loss. She won't be able to hear any speech. The devastation I felt. The questions. The unknowns. There are still a lot of those questions and unknowns, but the future is looking much brighter and not nearly so unpredictable.

Last month I took her in to a new audiologist. The waiting list to get in with her was quite long, and we had been anxious for this for a few months. I held Taryn on my lap as I have for the others and I would beam my proud smile when she would respond to the sounds I could hear. But then, just like always, there were some she couldn't hear. And I wanted so badly to squeeze her hand to get her to turn her head to the speaker from which the sound was coming. But I held back. Sometimes we have to do that as parents. I am learning that earlier with this one than with my others.

The results of the test came back slightly better than the last one we did. So her hearing aids were adjusted and I noticed her eye-squinting from loud sounds go away. I was glad the volume was finally more comfortable for her.

A few weeks later I took her in for a follow-up. This time they tested her in the sound booth with her hearing aids on to make sure they were adjusted appropriately. And this time, my proud and beaming smile was pasted on my lips the entire test. And there was never even a temptation to squeeze her hand. She did perfectly! Even at only 5 decibals (a super soft whisper), she turned her head to the sound.

The audiologist was very impressed.

Of course, when I called my husband after the test to tell him the good news, he gave a response like, duh, that's what the hearing aids are for. Yes, of course, but that isn't very often the case.

Everyone's successes are measured differently - depending on the subject and depending on the adminstrator. I'm learning that.

Next is Taryn's MRI. We've been waiting for this since June. It was supposed to be the end of Sep, but she apparently got something last minute that looked like measles (though I don't think it actually was), so we had to postpone it a month. Oct 25th. Let's hope she stays spot free.

Many more of our questions should be answered after that date.



Photobucket

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh Tasha!! This hits so close to home for me! I've gone through the exact same feelings and emotions with Jacob. I too wanted to squeeze his hand or point and say, "Did you hear that?" But I too had to hold back and just remember that he needed to do it on his own. I'm so glad the hearing aids are helping and that she can hear!!! What a miracle. I'm so grateful for hearing aids. Aren't you?
It's only going to get better.
I hope the MRI is successful!!!!