
I knew I needed to be vigilant.
But at one point during our city pool excursion, my child radar busted.
They were both playing on the little water playground, happily. Zion wanted help down the slide, so I cautiously walked her up the steps and shielded her from the incoming missile blasts of water raining down on us from the colorful hoses above. All the while, Evan played with those hoses and my child radar was in check.
After some coaxing, Zion emerged triumphant at the bottom of the slide and I made my way back down the steps to congratulate her. While wading through the calf-high water I began to wonder where Evan had repositioned himself on the playland. My eyes shifted from one corner to the next.
No Evan.
So I looked beyond the rope divider into the sea of older children playing in the deeper part of the pool. There it was. A face I recognized as well as my own. Those penetrating eyes, button nose, high forehead, and beautiful lips, pressing upward with urgency. He stood on his tip-tip-tip-toes with his neck bent back. That litle face was nearly submerged by the lapping waters. I stopped wading and broke into a run. Diving over the rope divider, I plunged into the water that separated us until I reached his straining legs and carried him upward with me.
He cried and cried and cried. And I held him tight.
We borrowed a life jacket from the pool after that.
While driving home, I talked to Evan a little about what happened. Then he said,
"You saved me Mom."
And with his big bright eyes lighting up, he added,
"You're my Hero."
Well that just made my heart smile.
************************************************
When the moment happened, it didn't really seem that terribly critical or even miraculous. It just happened and everything worked out in the end. But when I think back on it, I can't help but tear up and realize what an absolute miracle it was. How in the world was I able to spot that little tiny floating face amongst all those bigger bodies? I don't know. Except that I do know we were very fortunate. And I am confident that Heavenly Father intervened and focused my usually blurry eyes enough to spot my helpless little boy.
I am so grateful for that intervention and for recognizing the little miracles that happen every day as I care for and try to keep alive these beautiful spirits that I have been entrusted with.
What a responsibility! What an honor.





6 comments:
Oh wow!! That made me tear up.
Swimming is so fun yet scary and nerve racking at the same time, especially when you don't have another pair of eyes and hands helping you. We've had similar experiences but I just loved how he said that you were his hero. What a stud!!
Wow! What a scary time! But how wonderful that we have a Father in Heaven who watches over us. What a blessing! And how wonderful that your son was so grateful for his mom. :)
I am constantly amazed and aware of the divine inspiration that God gives to mothers: to teach, to love, to inspire, to protect ....
wow tash, i teared up in your story too. that's amazing, and his reaction very sweet.
Oh boy. Thank Heaven for miracles like that! I always feel so unworthy of those. It is wonderful that you write these down so we can always recognize our Father's merciful hand in our daily lives.
What a blessing.
You're so sweet, Tasha. I love you!
Post a Comment