Friday, June 4, 2010

Still Making Me Laugh



If you know my Mom, then you know that she had a Sweet Tooth.

If you lived with my Mom, then you know that she was famous for hiding candy (mostly chocolate, and mostly Dove chocolates) in different places throughout the kitchen. If we ever wanted to sneak a treat, then we knew we could probably strike gold if we looked in the drawer behind the bread pans, or in the pantry behind the spaghetti noodles, or even wedged between cannisters in the spice cabinet.

She probably started hiding candy from us.

But even as an empty-nester she still kept her chocolate reserves stashed in various spaces. Perhaps she was hiding them from the grandkids, or her husband, or even herself - out of sight, out of mind. Who doesn't like coming across a stash of chocolate they had forgotten about? Almost as fun as finding a $5 bill in your winter coat you had forgotten about all summer. And it was a great memory for us as we cleaned out Mom's house after her passing to discover her little treasure troves - it was like finding little pieces of Mom all around the house.

Well what a super fun surprise I got from her yesterday!

I finally decided to get out Mom's old bread machine I had taken from the house two years ago after she died. Inside the lid were the instruction manual and recipe book she had saved. I thankfully removed those, so very glad that she had kept them in place like that - because making bread is not my thing, and operating foreign machinery is even less so. As I took a look back into the bread pan I discover half a bag full of Christmas-wrapped Dove chocolates! I couldn't help the huge smile that filled my face and the laughter that escaped my lips. Evan asked what I was laughing at, and I said, " My Mom just did something really funny." I don't blame him for being confused as he responded, "But she died."

I suppose the best part of having someone gone, are those moments when they still make you laugh.



Photobucket

11 comments:

Angela said...

That is a great story and a fun memory to share with your kids!

Kippy said...

so sweet. and i am dove chocolate lover to!

Tina said...

That is the funniest thing. What a great thing to happen, like she was sending a little message of love to you!!

I hope you enjoy those chocolates for her!!

Tasha said...

So I probably should have mentioned that I did open some of the chocolates to investigate their edibility. Sadly, they are a little scary looking and the bag says sell by Dec 2007. So I decided to pass. Didn't want to spoil the sweet memory with the taste of sour chocolate. :)

The Wizzle said...

That's a great story, and I hope your bread turns out well! That's what moms are for, stuff like that. I would be scared to try bread without maternal guidance!

HILLARY said...

That is super sweet!

Joni said...

Tasha...that is so funny! My mom does the same thing...with M&M's. My brother is notorious for finding her stash (usually outside of the kitchen). What a fun surprise from your mom...and the bread will be nice to have, too.

karis stapley said...

What an awesome story! One to remember for sure! :)

Tara said...

It's still making me laugh too. :)

Tanya Leigh said...

Oh, man a laugh/cry post. *I did both* That is so awesome, Tash. Which reminds me...

Your parents (okay, probably mostly your mom ;) gave us a bread machine for our wedding! I think about them whenever I bust it out. (it makes great bread :)

"The Fam" said...

That is awesome! It made me chuckle because I (and my mom) do the same thing!