Monday, May 17, 2010

Second Opinions

I had thought Second Opinions were for people who were High Maintenance. I'm glad I'm High Maintenance.

Taryn's audiology results came back much more consistent with our own intuition.

A mild loss.

Now that makes sense.

Poor little thing has been living in a rock concert the past few months, with her amps turned up so loud.

Now what we need to look into {that even baffled the much-more-experienced audiologist we went to see for a second opinion} is that the results from testing Taryn's cochlea came back completely normal. So that means there is something wrong in her middle ear that is distorting the sound before it reaches the cochlea and is then transmitted to the brain. Perhaps this "something" is even fixable.

"Fixable" is a very HOPEFUL word...

Photobucket

7 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Oh, that's so encouraging! Crossing my fingers.

Tara said...

Wow Tash! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I like rock concerts.

Tina said...

Oh Tasha!! I was on the phone with my mom when I saw this post and I just had to share it with her and we were both just amazed and thrilled for you and Taryn. This is such great news and I'm glad you got a second opinion and stayed hopeful. Those markings show about where Jacob is with his left ear and so anything is possible now right? I got chills when I read this and I hope more positive news keeps coming your way!!!!! (smile)

Matt and Elisa said...

I am so happy for you!! How and when will they know if it's fixable??

Tasha said...

Thanks guys. We just have to get a CT-scan ordered for Taryn to look at all the little bones in her ear to see if it is something wrong with any of them. We'll see how long that takes to get done. I don't want to be a pushy patient, but I called last week to ask about getting the order, and haven't heard anything back yet. :( Even if it is something that can be fixed with surgery, that won't happen till she's probably more like 2 because they don't do elective surgeries like that on babies. But it would still be nice to know.

Tanya Leigh said...

Wow, what a crazy ride you are on here. How come they are changing their minds? Hadn't they done all these tests before?

Praying for your precious Taryn :)