We were playing "Simon says". That's a classic. And very fun to teach a three-year-old who is always eager to learn a new game. But suddenly, that three-year-old said, "Simon says, do a somersault."
Really?
And then a rumbling chuckle began. But as I bent my head down in my first attempt, it slowly turned into an uproar of uncontrollable laughter that would inevitably stop me from continuing on my rolling way. I kept trying, but each time I would fold my body in half, the idea of me somersaulting across the floor was too hilarious and I would burst into another round of irrepressible merriment.
It was a good laugh. The kind that only comes on rare ocassions. It can make you wheez with excitement, snort from restraint, sob with emotion, and wince from pain. At least, that's what it made me do. And it was great. Who ever said we should "avoid loud laughter?" Well I guess I know who said it, but I'm not sure why.
Maybe it's because it scares the kiddos. Maybe.
But finally, after gaining an ounce of abiding composure, I put my head to the floor and flipped my legs over. Triumph! And the awe on dear little "Simon's" face was thrilling, as was the ride.
When was the last time you did a somersault?




6 comments:
I know *exactly* what you mean! I get this feeling when I swing on the swings now. My stomach flip flops like I'm on a huge roller coaster, and I'm not even 4 feet off the ground! My thrill threshold has definitely lowered over the years. :)
I'm totally trying a cartwheel tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes!
I love you, Tasha. I was just thinking of you - and I thought I should tell you that.
Oh wow Rach, a cartwheel? That does sound ambitious. I'm afraid mine would look more like a 3-year-old's than an almost 30-year-old. It's sad to realize what age has done to us (or is it kids?) :) I'd love to hear how the cartwheel goes. You might consider a dose of dramamine before takeoff. :)
That was hilarious. Ya, I tried a cartwheel a year or so ago and I think I strained something in my back and legs because I was trying to straighten my legs too far... sigh...
Kids make it look so easy don't they?
Thanks for the laugh.
I might just have to try a somersault today and entertain my kids. Who needs t.v. when you have a mom trying to do simple gymnastics?
I do it all the time!! I really am a kid at heart and I act like it! At times, it totally embarrasses my kids....(Mom, stop it!!) but we have a lot of fun together.
Don't even remember the last time. Better not try for a few months. Or baby 4 might come earlier that expected!
Post a Comment