Monday, November 2, 2009

Tummy Ache Remedy


I first learned about her from my friend.


She's a witch. And like most witches, she flies around on Halloween Night. But this witch is different. She doesn't cast spells or mix brews. Instead she swoops down to houses with children that have Halloween Tummy Aches. She sneaks inside and makes a switch. She switches all the children's candy for a toy.

She's called the Switch Witch.
I didn't phone her on Halloween. My kids enjoyed their candy and no complaining or aching seemed to enter our house.

But then Sunday came. And after a day filled with whining and tantrums beneath the candy counter, I made the call.

"Is it too late to fly by my house?" I begged the witch.

"Of course not," she cackled. But she apologized that she had run out of little girl toys and that since it was Sunday, she would be unable to stop by the store to get some.

"That is absolutely fine," I encouraged. "Zion loves boy toys just as much as Evan."

The kids went to bed grumpy, due to their tummy discomfort. And I went to bed anxious to see if the witch really would make it to our house and solve our candy conundrum.

Morning came and to my delight the witch had made her trip. And in the place of our squabble-spawning sweets were tranquility-transporting Tonkas.

Now our morning has been filled with "Vrooms" and "Zooms" instead of sugary dooms.

Who knew that a visit from a witch could cast such calm and contentment?

It's no trick, but an ingenious Treat.

6 comments:

Jonesy said...

What a great idea AND a fun story rolled into one! I actually separate out the chocolate good stuff to freeze, that way "the kids" can still have some in moderation throughout the year. The other hard candies, gummies, suckers & such, I keep to use as decorations on gingerbread houses. Otherwise we have sugar overload from now until Valentine's Day!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

That is too cute! What a great idea!

We Are Family! said...

What a neat story. You are such a great writer! Glad the toy idea worked! :) Thanks again for going with us on Halloween night!

Kippy said...

clever...and smart!!

Tina said...

That is so cool!! And what a great way to write it. Very genius I might add!! I read it to Tyler and he said, "I'm all for that!!" We've heard nothing but asking for candy over and over and Jacob signing candy over and over so that is a very good idea for next year!!
Cute kids in their costumes!!

Sboyack said...

Cute idea, I bet the kids love it. Happy Halloween