Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Stranger Held My Baby

I let a stranger hold my baby.

She sat in the carseat while I focused my attention on the minor league ball game in front of me. I was happy to have my arms free for a moment while she sat contentedly. That's when a stranger approached and asked to hold her.
While it caught me off-guard, I was glad to oblige.


We got to talking about her own children. She had five. But lost her fifth two months before. My heart broke for her. But I was amazed at how well she was doing emotionally while holding my baby. She said it was the second baby she had held since losing her own. She broke down with the first.

I asked how she lost her baby.
He lived only 14 hours. He had Edwards syndrome - a chromosome disorder. I saw pictures on her cell phone. I saw how his hands bent awkwardly and one forearm was missing. His feet were clubbed and his face flat and plain.
But somehow he still looked perfect. He was precious. A perfect little spirit.
She said how grateful she was to have known ahead of time the disorder he had. How blessed she felt to be given fourteen hours with her warm, breathing babe. That he blew a lot of spit bubbles while he was awake; a memory that will always make her smile even when the aching bites.


I enjoyed talking with her - asking questions and hopefully allowing her an outlet to dispel some grief. Having a baby is something a mother wants to shout out and share with the world. The birth of any child is an absolute miracle! But when that miracle is no longer a tangible being to hold as a trophy for all to see, then all that is left is the story. And I'm sure that story wants to be shared, perhaps even more so than the actual child.
The credit is deserved and needed
.


I don't know how I would react or handle such a trial.

But soon the conversation ended and my baby was given back. I held her close and marveled at her perfect fingers and toes. I watched her sleeping eyes move rapidly and her beautiful lips form half smiles in her sleepy state.
My heart was full with my daughter in my arms and the carseat left empty.

5 comments:

granny said...

Thanks for sharing. Having been one of those moms, it brought up lots of tender feelings. Enjoy your little one!

Matt and Elisa said...

It's amazing with everything that can go wrong that so many births go right. It also makes me beyond thankful for the kids I have.

Darla said...

well said. we are so blessed and it is nice to be reminded.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

That was a really sweet post! You are such an amazing writer! It is amazing what we often take for granted!

Emily Moffat said...

This is so sweet. She is lucky to have found you, someone very compassionate toward her situation. It is so easy to take for granted what we have. A husband, a mother, a father, a child, mean so much. Thanks for the reminder.