Once upon a time... Evan's darling little neighbor-girl left a deep bite mark on Evan's arm during nursery. That afternoon we received a plate full of cookies and an "I'm sorry" from the dimple-cheeked culprit, and an apologetic wincing smile from her Mom. All I could think was "don't worry about it, he's fine" and also, "she can bite him any time because dang these cookies are good!"
This time after church it was our turn to deliver cookies. Evan used his powerful pitching arm to hurl a toy at the head of one of the little girls in his class. We had a talk about being nice to our friends and not throwing toys. Then we made a card that said "sorry", made the cookies together and wrapped them up. Evan delivered the cookies to the door with an "I'm sorry" ready on his lips. The victim was sleeping though (hopefully not from a trauma-induced concussion). Her parents were gracious and forgiving and, of course, understanding.
But as the mother of the bully this time, I felt awful, even though I knew she was just fine. Yet at the same time, I felt a comfort and connection to all mothers of little ones. Because we are all in this together and, really, what goes around comes around.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Isn't it great to be the mom of an "energetic" little 3 year old? Glad to hear that my "dimple-cheeked culprit" isn't the only kid out there causing problems in nursery.
I always worry that Aydon will do something and I won't be told about it. PLEASE let me know if he ever does. I know it's bound to happen.
BTW...that is so great and considerate of you to take cookies and make a little card. Great parenting!
I was thinking the exact same thing Joni was, what a great lesson to teach Evan. I too want to know if Trevor does things like that also, they will be energetic 3 year olds that will do things you don't necessarily approve of. That was a great way to take care of it.
You are so good to follow through like that. Our apology letters are usually directed toward teachers who have had to deal with our rambunctious boy. ;)
Post a Comment