The story of my job goes like this...
Back in August, when Greg decided to venture into owning his own business, I toyed with the idea of getting a job. We could definitely have used the money (who couldn't), but mostly I wanted the security that comes behind a consistent paycheck.
So I applied and interviewed for a part-time job in Ogden. It was at the city prosecutor's office. With my experience, I was a shoe-in. But I was still surprised when they offered the position to me, knowing that there had been over a hundred applicants. I was humbled, but at the same time my pride was boosted.
You see, I enjoy recognition. In my past jobs, I felt appreciated and valued and I knew I was a good worker because I could see the fruits of my labors every day. That pat on my back was always there, even if I was sometimes the one giving it. I thrived on that. I loved working and assisting others and getting to the bottom of an overflowing inbox and receiving a smile from someone that benefited from my services. Motherhood is rewarding, but not in the same way.
I asked to have the weekend before giving the prosecutor's office my answer. While contemplating the changes it would mean for our family, I came to the realization I mentioned above. And I decided that to take a job at that time would be for selfish reasons. I was needed at home. I declined the offer.
But times have worsened and it has become imperative for me to help our financial situation. I want to do what I can. But now that I have to, I don't want to. I enjoy the place that I am in with my kids; whereas, back in August I was searching for an escape. I am not judging any young mothers who work. But after reflecting on my own situation, the conclusion I have come to is this: Sometimes it's for extras and sometimes it's for survival. I chose survival.
I applied for a job with the Davis School District as a part-time secretary in the Human Resources Department in charge of finger printing and background checks for new hires. It paid better than the Ogden job and was in a better location.
I had to take a typing test. Apparently I type 101 wpm. I didn't know that. I was called for an interview. I stuttered my way through the series of questions with a smile. I had to take a test on Excel. I am not as fast at that as I am on the keyboard. I went home and wrote a thank you card (something my mother always taught me to do). Perhaps the postage stamp was worth it, because I received a call for a second interview. More stammering and searching for the right words (I am terribly uneloquent when it comes to talking to adults). Smile. Smile. Smile. Twiddling my thumbs for a week. The phone rings late in the afternoon. Davis School District appears on the caller ID. I let it ring. Too anxious to hear the news - good or bad. I returned the call the next day. The news is good.
I have always felt bad for young mothers who have to work. We are told that our place is in the home. And I believe that with all my heart. I have had the pleasure of being in that place for nearly three solid years. I have learned patience, I've tested my limits, I've laughed, I've cried, and I've experienced the overwhelming power of giving and receiving complete and unconditional love.
But this week I have been surprised that I do not feel bad for myself, as I have for others in my situation. I may not be at home, but I am still providing for the well-being and survival of my children. I hadn't expected to feel this way, but it is empowering. And I know I am being buoyed up.
Though leaving them is heartache; returning to them is shere bliss.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I think it's great that you are able to help your family financially. You are of course still one of the best moms I know! I think it's funny that you wouldn't answer when they called. I'm glad you are enjoying the job.
What an eloquent way to express so many things I have thought about over the years--but could never put into words.
And at 101 wpm, you must have written it in like 2 secons!
Good luck going back to work! That can be stressful, but also a good break! So. . . what did you end up wearing?
That's funny Maddy. This whole week I've ended up choosing outfits that make me look the least amount of pregnant. That's why it has been so hard to decide what to wear. But I chose black dress pants and a blue sweater for that first day. Next week I'm just biting the bullet and wearing maternity, because I've decided being uncomfortable at work isn't worth it. And I'm going to brace myself for the pregnant questioning.
Post a Comment