Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Free Day

Today was a free day.

While watching the Super Bowl we saw an ad that we wanted to take advantage of - free Grandslams at Denny's on Tuesday.

Now, normally we don't watch the Superbowl. In fact, I remember as a kid priding myself on being able to say I had never seen a Superbowl Sunday. Instead we would record it and tell our friends at school not to say a word before we could go home and watch it for Family Night. The first Superbowl I watched was with Greg's family after we were married. After that, I decided it's a good excuse to spend some fun family time together. Even still, most years we have opted to keep the t.v. off on Super bowl Sundays just as we would any other Sunday. But this year was special. Heck, the Arizona Cardinals were in the bowl. How often does that happen? I dare say never. So Greg and I enjoyed the thrills of the up and down game.

Hence, the reason we saw the commercial for the free Grand Slam breakfasts.

So this morning when the kids woke up we quickly got dressed. I usually need sustainance first thing in the morning, but I wanted to save my appetite for the yummy pancakes. In my hurry I didn't grab a jacket. That was fine with me because the car would be plenty warm and the restaurant too. We drove down to the Denny's and as we rounded the corner we saw the crowd. The line came out of the front door and wrapped its way around to the back of the building. We debated staying or going, but when a good parking spot opened we decided to take it.

I had a thick coat for Zion in the car, but poor Evan was only in a thin hoody. The sun was shining and warm so as long as it was on me I was okay. My tummy on the other hand was suffering. Luckily, a worker came out with a plate of Pancake Puppies to share with those in the queue.

The kids did amazingly well. It wasn't until an hour later that we finally reached the front doors of the establishment. That's when Evan started to finally go berzerk. He thought that as soon as we got inside we would be able to eat. But there was still a line we had to wait in. Poor guy.

I thought we would be eating breakfast there, but instead it turned out to be lunch. We finally got a table. Hallelujah. Greg said as we were waiting in line that it felt like we were in line at a soup kitchen. I agreed. But a free meal is worth it.

We were brought four Grand Slams. They were yummy, with plenty leftover for breakfast tomorrow. It was almost an all-day adventure, but free is free.

I even went to the dentist this afternoon for a free cleaning. And even better news, I have no cavities. I just have two old fillings that need to be replaced.

It was a grand-slammin' free day.

1 comment:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Wow, I cannot believe the line. That is crazy! I am glad you made it in and enjoyed your free breakfast!