Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Project Post

house (3)

We moved in the spring. Since that time I’ve had fun making this house our home. Most of these projects happened a while ago, but since the last few months have been busy with more than just painting, I haven’t gotten around to bragging about documenting the work I’ve done.

It’s mostly been a lot of little things.

Like recovering this dingy lamp shade with an old shirt I had.  

Projects (5)

And getting the rest of this room ready. My little Haven finally gets her own haven (for a little while at least).

I got help from my 4 year-old painting this old shelf and picture frame. She loves to modpodge with me..

Projects (7)

I’ve had these four frames since my mom passed away 5 years ago. The frames were an old looking silver and inside were four cross-stitched flowers. I decided to give them all a makeover with a little spraypaint and cut-out bird silhouettes from scrapbook paper.

Projects (8)

We found an old dresser from Goodwill and I used an orange basecoat to show through the distressed topcoat.

ProjectBeforeProjects (10)Projects (11)

Projects (15)

Then came the dilemma of repurposing a bunch of display knobs and pulls that my husband came home with from work. Who wouldn’t love an assortment of high-end hardware for free. Yay for perks!

ProjectsBefore (1)

Projects (3)Projects (18)Projects (4)

We had to sell our beautiful kitchen table because it didn’t fit in our new kitchen. So we got this b-yoot (also for free).

ProjectsBefore (2)

Refinished it a bright apple green and Voila!

ProjectsBefore (3)Projects (20)

Now it just needs a leaf so our family can fit around it. Dear Santa…

But the biggest project was figuring out what to do with the big blank wall in my family room. I don’t have a picture, but it is a large wall, and an empty canvas on which my mind could wander. 

My sister gave me the idea of a family tree.

I googled tree silhouette images and picked one I liked best. Then I used my sister’s projector to project the image onto the wall. This made it super easy to trace the image and we got to painting.

IMG_1531

Then I bought some cheap wooden plaques from WalMart and Hobby Lobby. I spray painted each one, printed up some old photos of mine and my husband’s ancestors, and modpodged them onto the painted plaques. I stuck the little ones onto the tree by simply using some sticky putty. I also printed pictures of our immediate families so the children can have constant reminders of their aunts and uncles. I used bigger plaques for those photos and put them on the wall with 3M command strips. Last, I got a “family” sign for a few bucks at Walmart and stuck it up with another command strip, and….

Projects (1)

there you have it. A beautiful, fun family tree to keep the spirit of our predecessors in our home and on our minds. NewCamera (12)

One side of branches is my husband’s and the other side is mine. I love to point out different physical features to my children and have an easy reference whenever I tell them stories about one of these noble and valiant persons.  

***********

It’s been an exciting adventure putting my own stamp on this home. You should have seen it before...

(653 N Sulleys Dr, Mesa, AZ 85205653 N Sulleys Dr, Mesa, AZ 85205653 N Sulleys Dr, Mesa, AZ 85205653 N Sulleys Dr, Mesa, AZ 85205)

I think I’m done decorating for a while ----

That is, unless I am decorating for Christmas…CmasTree (1)

CmasDecor (17)CmasDecor (5)CmasDecor (26)CmasDecor (4)CmasDecor (38)

3 comments:

Tara said...

everything is really, really cute. What a lovely home.

Matt and Elisa said...

Beautiful home! You have done an amazing job. You have such a talent for stuff like that. I think my favorite is the dresser. I am VERY jealous of all that free hardware. You did so many cute things with it. Wish I could see it all in person.

Diana said...

Wow, you have been busy! And a with a new baby in the house, too! So many adorable projects. I love all the mismatched knobs. I seriously need some of your ambition right now with way too many "project pieces" that have yet to be started.