She was only two weeks old and already experienced a close scrape with possible death.
Evan was holding her. The great big brother that he is, lent me the notion that I could use those few minutes of respite to make a quick trip to the bathroom.
Upon exiting the loo, I heard a lot of boisterous laughing. With my kids – that is never a good noise, and I knew instantly that something dreadful was happening.
I entered the family room to find Evan forcefully tossing the baby’s shoulders and head up into a sitting position and then letting her head fall roughly back into the crook of his arm.
My heart dropped.
I ran to her rescue and swooped her up into my arms.
I wasn’t mad. Surprisingly. Instead, I was just so extremely disappointed. Tears came to my eyes. “I thought I could trust you. This is so dangerous.”
Evan’s punishment: grounded from holding the baby for 3 days.
And Zion: grounded for 2 days for laughing with Evan and not protecting her sister.
(Having them grounded from the baby was actually a lovely thing. They are constantly wanting to hold her. There is no doubt, this little baby is loved. I just need to enforce to them what appropriate baby love is.)
My punishment: worrying our newborn wasn’t going to make it through the night after being shaken so violently.




1 comment:
*are you annoyed at all my comments yet?* ;)
You are a good mom, Tasha. Miss you lots!
Post a Comment