Sunday, November 13, 2011

Personal

{I was asked to give a talk yesterday in church on Elder Tad Callister’s talk from this past conference on the Book of Mormon. Such a great talk! Here is my personal testimony.}

 

While unpacking a couple weeks ago, I came across an old box of things my Mom had saved for me when they moved out of their house on Lyn Rae Sq. Inside, written in my own, young handwriting (and with atrocious spelling), I found a piece of notebook paper. It read: BofMTestimonyage7crop1

Then in my Mom’s cursive below, she wrote: Jan 6, 1989 (so I was 7 years old)

BofMTestimonyage7crop2

I have looked at this piece of paper in awe at the faith I had as a little girl.

You see, I have a confession to make. As I was preparing for this talk, I realized that I have never “asked” Heavenly Father if the Book of Mormon was true. Never had I got down on my knees and sincerely prayed to know.

So I decided to finally put Moroni’s promise to the test. And as I prayed, the funniest thing happened. I did not hear a voice of confirmation, or even feel an undeniable burning. Instead, I started laughing. And the thought that I received was, “Silly Tasha. Why are you even asking me this? You already know.” And it reminded me of the very frequent response I use on my children – when they ask me a silly question that I know they already know the answer to. I don’t indulge them. Instead I ask them for the answer.

So I changed my prayer. And instead of wasting Heavenly Father’s time asking for an answer I already knew, I asked to be reminded of how I have come to know that the Book of Mormon is true.

How do I know the Book of Mormon is a book from God?

I know it because I was taught its stories by my parents from a young age

I know it because I have had excellent Primary and Youth teachers in my life that have born testimony to me of its truths

I know it because I have read its pages and only ever felt the witness of the Holy Ghost while doing so

I know it because when I have born my own small testimony of the Book of Mormon’s truthfulness, it has been reconfirmed undeniably to me and my testimony has been strengthened

I know it because when I read or listen to talks like this one regarding the Book of Mormon’s divinity, they pierce my heart

And I know it because since the age of 7 I have been able to say that this book is a “very special gift from God”, and I can still proclaim, with all sincerity, that the Book of Mormon is a special gift from God.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

Matt and Elisa said...

What a priceless thing to run across! Thanks for sharing your testimony!

Tanya Leigh said...

Tasha, this is priceless.

I have had the very same experience. I remember praying and asking - feeling like I was TRULY asking if the Book of Mormon is true... I came to the same realization: I already KNOW it is.

For all the reasons you listed, and more.

Thank you for sharing your sweet, sweet testimony.

Amen. :)

shell said...

You're a lucky girl!!

email me your email address to
shellyfreedom@gmail.com
and i'll send you the pics of your kids on santa's lap!!