Well, I thought I could write about our two-week “vacation” all at once. But it’s been over a week now and I haven’t written a word, we are still very much living out of our suitcases, and I’m remembering that the recovery from a trip sometimes lasts longer than the original packing or actual trip itself.
So if I’m ever going to get any of it documented I better do it in increments.
Behold, the first leg of our long and winding trip:
King Family Reunion, near Rico CO, 4 days of camping
That’s right. 4 days of camping. Need I say more? I don’t dislike camping. Nay. I actually love it very much. In small portions. Unless there’s a shower or toilet nearby, then I could probably handle a larger portion. But neither of those are present at the King Family Reunions.
Greg’s maternal grandparents used to own a ranch in the Colorado mountains near Rico (4 corners area). It is called Circle K Ranch. They are gone, and no longer own the property, but for nostalgia’s sake, the family gets together every other year a few minutes from the ranch and camps in a dirt pasture next to the highway. It is a gorgeous area, but the lack of shade, constantly dirty socks, smell of latrines, and frequent cowpies underfoot certainly do not make it the most ideal camp site. But we all return every time, so there must be some redeeming qualities.
This year it was the ponies. My kids were in love. And so was I, because suddenly I had a built-in babysitter. I hardly ever had to worry or wonder where my kiddos were. I knew exactly where to find them every time. The horse trailer.
Reunion’s with Greg’s extended family are always so very interesting for me – on both sides. I always find out more about my family from his than from my own. Our family’s are so interconnected that all of his uncles have a story or two about my Grandpa Evan. It is fascinating. And they were all eating up the fact that my kids took right to the horses. “They’ve got their Grandpa’s blood in ‘em,” they would each say, not knowing a brother had just stated the same thing an hour or two before. You see, my Grandpa was a horseman. Rode, broke, and bred horses. I never knew him. He died when I was two. But he’s Evan’s namesake and it is always so intriguing to find out more about him from people who seem like they should have been complete strangers. But somehow became family. Very fascinating indeed.
Well, the days were hot and long and the nights were deathly cold. It took a few nights to finally figure out the pajama layering and sleeping arrangement that worked best. But by the last day we had finally all gotten a full-night’s rest. It was so great to see family that we haven’t seen in years. Nearly all of Greg’s immediate family was there (minus two siblings) and close to 150 aunts, uncles, cousins, and all their kiddos. It’s quite an event and amazing that I don’t have any disaster stories to report. Miraculous. And quite a success.
On Independence Day, we packed up camp, shared hugs and goodbyes, and loaded up into the van for another of our many long and winding car rides.
Home to Mesa.




3 comments:
Doggone it, I didn't know you were here in Mesa!
I know, I'm so sorry Rach. We even had a day of downtime and I totally pulled up your number three different times that morning on my phone to call you and see if you wanted to hang out. But each time I decided not to bother you with us. I'm still regretting it, because I would have loved to see your kids and your Mr. Kimball and all of the other exciting things in your house and just vegge with you, because goodness it's been a stinkin long time since we've seen each other. But hopefully it won't be that long until next time. Sorry.
Camping for 4 days in a pasture has earned you a giant gold star from me. We have just started camping with kids, and the thought of 4 days at once makes me tired. I'm glad the horses entertained your kids during those days. I'm guessing once you got to Mesa you all took luxuriously long showers and did a ton of laundry. I love the pictures of the kids on the horses. Super cute.
Post a Comment