Another Sunday at home. 
And although most Sundays, Sacrament meeting is anything but something spiritual or uplifting while I strangle wrangle three kids and try to divide shushing responsibilities evenly between Greg and I, I’m starting to miss those little pieces of bread and miniature cups of water.
Luckily, I have had the opportunity to be spiritually fed these last two weeks by performing in a couple firesides with Jenny Phillips. If you are not familiar with this LDS artist, I would encourage you to become so. She is amazing. My testimony is strengthened every time I listen or speak to her. She has such a passion for strengthening and encouraging our youth to be valiant. I wish I were more like her. I wish I were more outspoken on matters that really matter.
The majority of the firesides we do are various stakes’ Trek Firesides. The theme of her music at these events includes taking the lessons we learned from the pioneers and applying them in our lives. That instead of being asked by our prophets to pull handcarts or risk frostbite, we are asked to stay clean and not be distracted by the things of the world. It is such a wonderful message. And as I sing in the choir and I look out at the audience of impressionable youth, I just hope in my heart that they get it. I think back to when I was their age. Would I have gotten it? I know Music was usually the best way to reach me. I think Jenny’s firesides have just the right mix of song and scripture and video and anecdotes and comedy to reach all the youth. It’s amazing to watch her be inspired.
She thanks us at each performance for our unselfish service. But really, I am there selfishly. I want to partake of that incredible spirit as often as I can. And I suppose, unselfishly, I want to do whatever small part I can to help others feel that spirit as well. :)
It’s definitely a win-win.




2 comments:
I am so blessed to do Jenny's Firesides as well!! It is something that I look forward to each month! Unfortunately, work got in the way for me to do any in May, so I am really excited for June!! Love the strong spirit I feel each time :) Hope to see ya soon!!
I was looking for you at church when the softball sign-up was passed around, and I wondered if you were home with sick kids again. Honestly, I enjoy the occasional sick-kid-excuse to stay home in my pajamas, but it is no fun week after week!
Post a Comment