Sunday, April 10, 2011

Relationship Investment


When we got our tax return last month and began allocating the funds to various debts and savings, we decided we needed to invest a little of it into our relationship, of which we owed a great debt.


So we booked a Marriott hotel for an awesome discount, because Greg knows a guy who knows a guy, and then we waited with huge anticipation for our anniversary trip to arrive one month later.


We have never been away from our children together. [wait, I take that back. When Evan was 10 months old we did a one-night anniversary stay, but we missed him so much that we checked out early the next morning and ran right back to get him. Pathetic! So it shouldn't really count.] Two more kids and many years later, I'm sure you can understand that we were in dire need of a get-away.


We arranged for Tara to watch our kids for two nights. She lives an hour away in Provo. Tara asked if we were staying up in Park City or somewhere nice. I cringed. "We're actually just staying in Provo. But I didn't want to tell you because I feel bad that we are so close and I don't want to see my kids..." Is that bad???


* Trip Highlights *


* Eating Out - we wanted to try something "different" each time. But we learned that often "different" is unfortunately synonymous with "disappointment" - though still a good experience


* Getting to see this amazing Art Exhibit and tearing up while standing before this original masterpiece -- Indescribable! *Parking in the "Visitor Lot" at BYU. That was such an exhilirating simple pleasure. Simply because it was always off-limits as a student.


*Walking around the Museum of Art and BYU Campus and feeling like I was home.



*Checking out this amazing art installation. Made entirely of books. Incredible!



* Doing our best to act like newly weds and even stealing a kiss or two in the elevators


* Finally getting a BYU t-shirt after all of the years attending and alumning - and I LOVE it.


* Smoking Greg at bowling. Super huge highlight. * Going out to the movies and playing around in the arcade. I always go to the Big Game Hunter for some reason and Greg spent most of his time on the pinball machine in the corner. He is really quite a pro at pinball. It's almost fascinating to watch if it weren't such a waste of time. :) Me? - I'd rather be killing things.


*Sleeping in - well, almost. It's hard to wean your body off of those 7 am wake up calls for a quick holiday. I did discover, though, that my head and hotel pillows do not coincide well together. Reminder: next time, I'm packing my own pillow, shampoo, and conditioner.


*Holding Greg's hand instead of a diaper bag.


*Realizing that we do still have things to talk about. And just reconnecting.


** a SOLID investment indeed


* and of course *** seeing our three little ones after two days apart. I think they were excited to see us too.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Nike said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah for a night away! Good for you guys.

Tanya Leigh said...

Congratulations!! Our anniversary getaway trip got sicked-out last week. Quite depressing. Oh well, it would ahve been too busy to have been fun, anyhow. *househunting in Wisconsin* Coy went solo. I stayed home with sickos.

Sounds like you guys made it an awesome time! I love all the activities you did! ... We may have to copy your idea. ;)

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

That is awesome! Good for you! Nick and I have made it a point to do a "get-away" every year! It makes me a better wife and mommy!

Tina said...

Wow!! That sounds heavenly!! We haven't been away over night since Cloey was 11 months old!! I'm so glad you guys had such a great time together. I love that you stole kisses in the elevators. That was my favorite part!! Hee, hee!!