Saturday, April 2, 2011

Proud Parenting

There are moments of complete astonishment that come as a mother. They're usually accompanied by a *gasp* and an I can't believe my child just did that.


Now, sometimes these moments are for the worse. But sometimes - some of those glorious times - these moments are for the better.



Yesterday we went to a birthday party where a magician was hired to entertain a large crowd of both children and adults. I positioned my little ones on the floor in the front frow and crossed my fingers that they would behave themselves.


Evan laughed hysterically the whole time. He seemed to laugh even harder after the complex adult jokes than the simple children jokes. Well, this laughter bought him a spot in the show when the magician asked him to come up and be his helper.



This is when my anxiety level over them behaving themselves on the front row, spiked!


Evan continued his hysterical laughter, but it always came at the appropriate times and he paid very close attention to his assignments. The only problem with his laughter was that it jiggled him off of the chair he was standing on so many times that the magician asked him if his Dad was a lawyer.


I have never witnessed my son in a situation like that. One where all eyes are on him. Where he is expected to perform. Where he is required to behave. Where his attention is demanded. And his patience is tested.


I was nervous. So very nervous.


Especially when the magician gave him a long balloon that is impossible for any normal human-being to blow up and I could see the frustration rise in his face and I kept waiting for the meltdown.


But he soldiered on.


Then the teasing began. And continued. Lots and lots of teasing. Hilarious to the audience, but again, I could see that fire of frustration ignite and braced myself for the explosion.



Normally at home, our short-tempered little guy would have thrown himself onto the floor in a contorted pile of limbs, bulging veins, and red-faced moans of agitation. I wanted to tell that magician that he was really pressing his luck with this almost 5-year-old and he had better back down.


But Evan surprised me. Complete shock and amazement. He was a trooper. And absolutely hilarious. His reactions and comments were perfectly placed and his wit was uncanny.


How I wished I had my video camera.

The audience was rolling with laughter through it all. But my laughter was mixed with something else -


Pride. Pure Pride.


And it made me realize that just as we watch our children try and be tested through new experiences, we are also being tested in the process. As much as I wanted to run up and rescue Evan from the teasing or extinguish those flames of frustration, I stayed put. And what an incredible reward came in the end.


Our children are never going to learn and grow if they are not given opportunities to build their character, self-esteem, and independence. What a pleasure it is to witness a child grow. What an honor!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Kallie said...

What a special moment. I absolutely love reading your insights into being a parent and parenting.