I've been told Mormon's are notorious for this. So I was going to make sure that this time I didn't play into the typical Mormon stereotype.
So in case you weren't aware of it {because I wasn't}, this is what we do --
When invited to a party and asked to bring something, Mormons will pull through: large plates of over-sized cookies, nutty cheese balls and a smorgasbord of crackers, creamy fudge, rich brownies, delicious candies.... you get the picture right? Or can you taste it? ;) We are awesome at bringing yummy contributions.
Now, here's our downfall - we are also awesome at taking our yummy contribution left-overs home with us.
Yep, there you have it.
Did you now that was a social faux pas? I didn't. Heck, I was raised a Mormon.
Apparently, in normal American culture (normal meaning not us "peculiar" Mormons) what you bring to a party is what you leave at a party. The left-overs are meant to be a gift for the hosts. shrug... makes sense. I certainly love it when people leave their delicious left-overs (usually by accident mind you).
Anyway, having recently become aware of this "no-no" I made the necessary preparations to ensure that this year I did not fall victim to habit.
I made double the amount of cookies for my friend's Christmas cookie exchange so there would be plenty for her family to enjoy later. Then I packaged them neatly on a disposable cardboard platter. There - now I wouldn't have to worry about making the transfer from one of my dishes to one of hers.
The party was terrific. Piles of decadent desserts. Lots of company to chat with. A wonderful holiday success.
Time to leave. I hurriedly gathered up the kids, who were screaming from sugar intake overload, put the diaper bag back together, made one last peruse of the area to see if I forgot something, and what did I do in my haste???!!!!
I grabbed that cardboard platter, still half-full, of my chocolatey mint cookies!
We were half way home before I realized what I had done.
And I spent the rest of the evening shamefully enjoying every last bite of the gift meant for my hostess. Because, what can I say?
I am a Mormon.
*** source? A recent convert I know who was shocked after throwing her first party that Mormons attended. Also, "Seinfeld" and the marble rye :) ***
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Good thing your gracious hostess was born Mormon as well, and was entirely unaware of said faux-pas.
Funny. I had no idea.
too funny. thanks for informing me too :)
That's hilarious. I tend to grab my leftovers, but I will be sure to leave them from now on. I am never offended if someone takes theirs, those (also raised Mormon), because usually, as delicious as it was, I have already eaten too much and am determined to eat only carrots for the rest of the week.
lol. Who knew?! Well, I personally feel all the leftovers would be too many, a lot of times - and thus, a hassle for the hostess to claim up. A good medium might be to leave a few, rather than a lot. ??? ;)
Sounds shamefully delicious! :)
Post a Comment