I didn't know what to expect.
It was my first time attempting the Black Friday rush. I awoke at 4 am to a hungry baby. And so after quenching her thirst I decided to throw on some shoes and add my tired body to the crowd. I went outside to scrape the ice from my windows and saw my neighbor a few doors down chipping away at hers as well. I thought about yelling down to her and asking if she wanted to go together, but then another part of me was thinking Game On! {Really? Did I just think that? Am I really one of those shoppers. I've heard about them. Could that really happen to me on the first attempt?} I don't know - but while listening to the radio play "Frosty the Snowman" my heart couldn't help beat louder as the lyrics rang out "Thumpity Thump Thump" and the Wal Mart drew nigh.
I got there before 5 am, but apparently so did the rest of the town. And even more apparent was that the doors definitely opened much much sooner than advertised. Shopping carts were gone and the store was utter chaos. Practically every box and pallet EMPTY. At least everything that I had wanted. What a mess. After struggling 20 minutes with a shopping cart that couldn't fit through the masses, and having nothing of consequence to throw in it anyway, I gathered my meager winnings into my arms and ditched the cart in the toddler section. It was madness, but a bit fun at the same time. I remained calm and cordial and found much of the experience laughable. But when I would look at people's overstuffed carts of identical items {no doubt to be sold on ebay} I gritted my teeth a bit. Completely uncalled for I say. And I know for certain that I am definitely not one of those shoppers.
So after thirty minutes of battling through the store and thirty minutes of inching through the line, I came home with two bags. One of towels for my bathroom, and the other a pair of snow boots for myself and one measely present to put under the Christmas tree for Evan. Quite disappointing.
I think the adrenaline rush of Black Friday would have been much better spent, had I been more successful at finding deals on gifts for others rather than myself. I just wasn't quick enough, or perhaps crazy enough to make it happen. Instead, I will find those perfect presents in a more calm environment. Unfortunately, it may be one called Cyber Monday.
Friday, November 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Walmart? Really? Granted, most of our paycheck goes to that lovely institution, but that's the LAST place to go on Black Friday!!! C-R-A-Z-Y! Problem is, (besides THOSE kind of people being there) it's open 24-hours, so the lines begin where those palates of wrapped-up treasures are, then once opened, it's like swarms of wasps to a little ol' meatball on a picnic table. I nearly got trampled 3 years ago while I was pregnant with Bridget, so Black Fridays now mean putting up Christmas decorations in the safety of my own home! Bravo for your bravery, but I'll forfeit the adrenaline rush and sleep off my tryptophan-induced coma in my warm cozy bed.
I can't believe that was your first Black Friday! You HAVE to go with people...that's the fun of it all. And...after reading about selling things on ebay, I feel better about not picking up 4 Cricuts to try and resell. Hmm...I have to say I love Black Fridays!
Don't give up yet! Every year it gets better and you'll get better at it. Before you know it you will have a cart full of stuff you wanted and people will be wondering how you did it!
lol :) Yeah, my first was last year w/ my mom & sisters. It was fun ONLY because I was spending time with them. It was disgustingly unproductive, though. I have also sworn off Black Friday.
I love your story!
Oh man! I know the feeling. I found the internet to be a much more enjoyable way to shop.
Post a Comment