Saturday, April 11, 2009

Butt Kisser

"Will you kiss it better" is a question I always love to hear. There is magic in such a kiss. And it is empowering to deliver that magic to the ones I love.

But tonight when Evan asked me that question, I have to admit that I hesitated with a spontaneous burst of laughter. You see, he was complaining of a sore bum. Before saying "good night" he mentioned again that he had an owie on his bum. Then the words fell from his lips; "Will you kiss it better Mommy?"

Of course I couldn't help but laugh and raise an eyebrow. But the longing for that magic was written in his eyes and I could not refuse his request. I first kissed his pajamas over the small of his back. But he said no and patted his diaper-covered bum. So I puckered up and smacked one down right between his cheeks (still on top of his pajamas of course). He smiled his entrancing grin and gave me a huge hug.

Perhaps being a butt kisser isn't as bad a thing as everyone says. :)

p.s. I apologize to members of my family or others who were raised in a very conservative home where "butt" was a word extremely prohibited (not to mention the combination of "butt" and "kiss" - for shame). Because of my upbringing, I rarely use that word, but thought it too appropriate a phrase to not include in this post. Thanks!

1 comment:

Matt and Elisa said...

Too funny! The same thing happened with Sam once. Of course as the Mom you HAVE TO kiss it better. Isn't motherhood great!?!