I can't count the number of times I've heard that statement. And, growing up, I always wondered why someone would say it. Most of the time a twin was someone who stole my clothes, teased, and got me in trouble. I remember sobbing in second grade when Tara told our friends that she was two years older than me rather than two minutes. Being older was great leverage and I didn't want her to gain a second more than she already had. I got grounded in seventh grade when she told my parents that I had held a boys hand for the first time. And of course high school brought the endless tug-of-wars over clothing. I suppose these are normal riffs between any sibling. But I must admit that there were times I despised having a twin.
But then again... having a twin could be lots of fun. April Fools always brought along a great joke. Since the third grade, we would switch classes. This was my Mom's brilliant idea. Elementary school brought on the challenge of how long we could get away with our home-room teachers not noticing. In Junior High and High School we would watch the clock tick during each class' hour and see if we could get through an entire period without being noticed. We had some great victories. This was due to careful planning the days before hand. We would map out our schedules, seating charts, locker combos, what friends we talked to in each class, and even the way in which we organized our desk each period. It was all very strategic. Like drawing out battle lines and attack plans. Then we would dress to look the part. Until fifth grade, this meant dressing alike, but later it meant dressing a part. And we would strut the halls in the other's shoes and laugh if our teachers ever caught on. The 1st days of April were great days, and everyone loved playing along. Being a twin meant easy logos for student council campaigning. In 6th grade it was "Doublemint Twins" and 9th grade brought on the "TNT" (our family nickname - Tara and Tasha) dynamite twins. People may have thought we were popular. But we really weren't. We were just twins. Kids know who you are when you have a twin. Another advantage to having a twin is that we could play endless hours of barbies and micromachines together without ever having to send the other home. And of course having a twin meant always having a friend.
And we were friends. But never great friends. That is until recently. Though I always wanted her to be, Tara was never my best friend, nor was I her's. But that has absolutely changed. Wifedom and motherhood somehow linked us together. We rarely go a day without talking to eachother and moments in her presence are bliss. Ever wonder if twins read minds? Me too. But perhaps we do and this is why being together is so easy. We just needed a time in our lives when we were on the same page to really connect. We can talk about everything and nothing and be at peace with our company. We can take road trips or day trips and come home wanting to do it again. We even enjoy sharing our clothes.
She is my twin, but more importantly, Tara is my best friend. You should wish you had a twin. A twin as wonderful as mine.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
What a fun blog! That's great that motherhood has brought you two closer...I think it brings our whole gender closer! =)
Holy cow Tasha! You are such a good writer. Thank you for being my twin. I've always felt blessed to be with you.
I'm glad you still share your clothes with me too. ;)
That is an awesome post, Tash. I am glad you are twins too, because you gave me 2 great friends all through junior & high school... and beyond! :) I love you gals!
That was too fun! I love reading your April fools stories. What planning!
That's beautiful, Tash - and its a great thing to hear you say. That's exactly who should be your best friend. And I think the road getting there was a learning process - you are a really blessed writer (always have been).
Post a Comment